If jumper cables are available and the booster battery is in another car; in both cars, set handbrakes, turn off all switches, place gear selector in Neutral or Park position, make certain cars do not touch, then proceed in this exact sequence –
- Connect the red cable clamp to the positive post of the discharged
- Connect other end of the red cable clamp to the positive post of the live
- Connect the black cable clamp to the negative post of the live
- MAKE FINAL CONNECTION ON ENGINE BLOCK OF DEAD (STALLED) CAR – as far away as possible from battery. Make certain cars do not touch.
- Attempt to start ‘dead vehicle’ with ‘live vehicle’ engine OFF. If vehicle has not started in 15 seconds stop procedure and check ignition and fuel systems.
- To remove cables – reverse this exact procedure.
It is recommended that before jump starting, all light switches in the “dead vehicle” are in the on position. This will reduce the possibility of a “spike” which could damage sensitive equipment. If in doubt refer to vehicle manufacturers hand book.
This jump start information was proudly provide by Exide Batteries